Preventive Care & Tips
What You Can Do To Keep Your Child from Getting Sick
Some tips to help prevent future illness include:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and warm water.
- Work with your child’s doctor to make sure your child is up to date on all vaccines.
- Avoid touching the nose, eyes, and mouth.
- Cover the nose and mouth with arm (not hands) while coughing or sneezing.
- Consider keeping an alcohol-based gel sanitizer or hand wipes in your child’s backpack so they can quickly and easily kill germs on their hands if soap and water aren’t available.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration and maintain body fluid levels.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Spend time outdoors because it is more common to catch a cold indoors rather than it is outdoors. Air-conditioned environments and tight, closed spaces, such as airplanes, pose many virus-sharing risks and ultimately increase the likelihood of catching a cold. Also, the sun’s ultraviolet rays can kill cold viruses.
- Eat fruits and vegetables to boost your body’s immune system.